Troll Troll Lord Games
Castles & Crusades, The Crusader Magazine, Aihrde, and all other things SIEGE.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Gary Gygax
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Troll Lord Games Forum Index -> Tributes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arwen
Peck
Peck

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love reading all these posts, it helps to know that others are grieving, also. Delver and I will be raising pizza and wine in Gary's honor this evening and maybe rolling some dice once our Little Heroines are in bed for the night, remembering games and beloved gamers past. Thanks so much for sharing!
Drex

:

Items

There are not enough words to describe the positive impact Mr. Gygax had on the imagination of two generations of gamers. I never had the privilage to meet him, but I know that my childhood was a more creative place because of him. It has been a joy to introduce my children to his world and see their creativity. His legacy will live on in the imaginations of us all. Rest well
Arioch
Troll
Troll

:

Items

the wrold is a darker colder place
ken

Slice N Dice: Game and Pizza Parlour

WWBYD What would Brigham Young do ?
http://www.geocities.com/J_Elric_Smith/Index.html
Sven

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences to his friends and family. I never had a chance to meet him and it's still a great loss I cannot even imagine your pain.

I'll be having a drink in his honor..

Farewell Gary Gygax and thank you for everything.

Last edited by Sven on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keolander
Ogre
Ogre

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godspeed Col_Pladoh. Crying or Very sad
Goero

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Farewells Reply with quote

I was introduced to D&D in highschool by a friend of mine. It became a fast favorite. We held our dungeon crawls on a saturday evening, and sometimes at lunch at school if we felt rebellious.

Since graduating, I moved away, but whenever I get bored, I look over at my dice case which I keep near my computer and smile from the memories of days gone past, player deaths, and little story lines that involved an animated sword, a tent and a friend who will never live down being told to stay in said tent.

Tonight, I will be pulling out my dice and giving them a good sling. And probably calling up my old crew and talking to them about our old campaigns.

I never met the man personally, I would have loved to. Gary's work helped bring me out ofmy shell of an introverted console player, to what and who I am today.

(Thanks for opening the boards up to us guests!)
sieg
Grinder
Grinder

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lady wife and I will be opening a bottle of wine we'd saved for a special occasion tonight and drinking a toast to a fine man and great gamer.

Rest well, Gary.... Sad
themadhobbit

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest in peace, Gary.

I never told him how much his game completely saved my life. A lone, isolated kid - "that" kid in school, always the new, weird kid - the target of the "anti-loners", I hated life.

Through a series of seemingly trivial circumstances, I discovered D&D and with it friends, a group a society where being imaginative and a bit weird were accepted if not celebrated.

I am 46, I have been playing since '77 - non-stop. hrough it all I have become a successful adult, a husband and a father. D&D and teh people it brought into my life gave me a new perspective on life and a sense of inner worth that may never have otherwise developed.

That's a heck of a lot for a "simple game". But there it is.

I met my wife during a D&D game.

I just started running my 9yo son through adventures and the joy of seeing him explore his mind's eye is a highlight of my life.

I am not alone in this.

And it is all thanks to a game, created by Gary and Dave.

Rest in peace, Gary, may you receive heaven's blessings which you so richly deserve.
Arwen
Peck
Peck

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drex wrote:
There are not enough words to describe the positive impact Mr. Gygax had on the imagination of two generations of gamers. I never had the privilage to meet him, but I know that my childhood was a more creative place because of him. It has been a joy to introduce my children to his world and see their creativity. His legacy will live on in the imaginations of us all. Rest well

You can make that three generations now, as we introduced my parents to D&D several years ago as well. Grandma and Grandpa have let our daughter roll for them on many occassions. Smile It is very much a Family Activity at our house, as it clearly is at yours as well!
cpumage

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: I cant beleive ...... Reply with quote

I am staggered by how saddened I am by the passing of someone I have never met, much less never known. His impact on my Life, looking back over 40 years on... is incredible.

In 1979 my friend who lived acrossed the street, got DnD for Christmass We were 12 at the time. That one event truly fired my imagination and led me to fantasy novels, and an interest in medieaval history. If your not old enough to remember 1979 then this probably means nothing to you. But at that time there was NO geek culture.. what so ever… Lots of disco… shudder… In 1981 we moved back from California to Florida, where I met my best friend through out highschool in the wargaming club. This was my Freshman year and he introduced me to these cool new things called personal computers. His father's reference is what got me the job working for The Florida Book store repairing Commodore 64's when I was 16 thus starting my computer career.
Yeah I know… so what….
Well
Without those events and without me continuing to play dnd throughout my life….
I probably never would have met my Darling Wife.
I probably would never have gotten involved in computers and thus not be a Chief Technical Officer today.
I probably would never have gotten involved in the SCA and met some of the best friends a person can ever have (or learned to brew Mead).
I probably never would have met any of my closest friends throughout the years.

Amazing the impact 1 person can have on your life, even without ever meeting that person…...
Here is to the hope you can hear me on what ever Plane you are on....Thank you!!!!!... for Everything!
and to the mods.... Thank you for providing a place for me to write this. It really helps to put it into words.

To His Family may I say... Though none may feel his loss as sharply as you do, millions of us do feel his loss. You have my family's deepest condolences. May we all have such a positive impact on as many lives as he did. The world will be a much better place if we do.

Jim
Laserclod

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In French :

Tu nous manqueras Gary. Un monument est mort, un pan de culture s'est effondré. Paix à toi, ami.

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re post from slash dot. Humor Helps... Reply with quote

Gary's Grave...

They're going to wonder at the legions of people in various modes of dress, from lawyers to pimply-faced geeks to Vin Diesel, that will stop by and pour out a tube of dice on his grave.

And then they'll realize they have to have someone go out and clear up the piles before they can mow. A lawnmower hitting Gygax's grave will cause a 30' radius spray of polyhedrons, doing from 1d6 to 3d6 damage depending on the horsepower of the mower.
guest202

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll miss you, Gary.

*lowers head in silence*
Plaag
Ogre
Ogre

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad news.

Gary, you shall be missed!

ShaneG.
Nitelite
Carrion

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start out by saying I haven't played D&D in many years. In the 90s, I use to trek up from Massachusetts to Milwaukee for GenCon and on one occasion got to meet him and get a book signed. I was to in awe to say much except shake his hand and thank him for signing my book. I will say now what I should have said then.

Gary, you help surround me with people during high school that were like minded and enjoyed the same things I did. Without your creation, I am not sure how I would have made it through that awkward period. For many years, your game was a large part of my life. I have fond memories of that period and I owe it all to you and your brilliance. Thanks for everything man and enjoy your trip to the outer planes.

Ryan G.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Troll Lord Games Forum Index -> Tributes All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 13 of 58

Jump to: