Troll Troll Lord Games
Castles & Crusades, The Crusader Magazine, Aihrde, and all other things SIEGE.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in            Calendar

NEWS:
Q&A with Gary Gygax, Part I
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Troll Lord Games Forum Index -> Keeper Advice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhuvein
Dragon Whisperer
Dragon Whisperer

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssfsx17 wrote:
Speaking of "flaccid" adventures, I do like a nice long and hard campaign.

Oh, for sure. But moist/wet caverns to be explored and penetrated are always a good thrusting point for those early stages of fore - I mean role play! Very Happy

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Valerian
Bugbear
Bugbear

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian throws yellow flag Laughing
And to hear the lamentations of the players
-Conan the dungeonmaster
Rhuvein
Dragon Whisperer
Dragon Whisperer

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian wrote:
Valerian throws yellow flag Laughing

Nope, only Thee referee Gary can throw that one (and if he does, then I'll repent)!

Heh, you can wave the white flag and then sit with the kindergarten!

Me, I'll hoist the Jolly Roger and take a swig of rum, and run any landlubbers through the gizzards!! Harrr!! Very Happy

[That's right. I'm pretty good with a cutlass, foil or rapier lads. And can throw the dagger with the other paw. Look out says I! Yikes, he's fast - says you!]

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
seskis281
Tusker
Tusker

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

First I thank you for opening this thread here. I've visited your enworld thread before but I don't go there as often anymore and appreciate you doing a Q&A here where I visit more regularly.

My first question here:

I know you love board gaming, and I was wondering if you recollect or ever played Avalon Hill's Samurai from the early 80's.

I ask because the guy who wrote it is Dan Campagna and is the new Dean at the UW college I teach at. Smile

My second question is:

How's CZ coming along? Very Happy

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
Valerian
Bugbear
Bugbear

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, I'll hoist the Jolly Roger and take a swig of rum, and run any landlubbers through the gizzards!! Harrr!! Very Happy

[That's right. I'm pretty good with a cutlass, foil or rapier lads. And can throw the dagger with the other paw. Look out says I! Yikes, he's fast - says you!][/quote]

Arrrr.. matey don't ye be hoisting all that heavy rum alone now. I be pretty good with a foil meself.
And to hear the lamentations of the players
-Conan the dungeonmaster
Col_Pladoh
Troll Lord VIP
Troll Lord VIP

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian wrote:
My players just had such an opportunity and failed ... "Grab 4d6 everyone". It's rare a whole party is rash but it happens. Gary did you ever slay an entire party. Twisted Evil

Yes, and each time it was because of poor play.

The worst was when my play-test group for the Unhallowed horror RPG were at the concluding session of a campaign that had lasted for many weeks. When the main antagonist, a witch, did not die immediately when thay shot her, they decided in their wisdom to shiit the sacrificial victim on the altar. The resulting innicent blood there enabled the demon to gate into the place and and do for the lot of them. I just said, "Time for you to go home," rather than make a gory account of the end. I was so disappointed in their play that I never invited any member of that group to be a part of one of my RPG campaigns thereafter.

All the other TPK incidents, six or so, occurred when groups of non-old-school players, or old-schoolers that had lost touch with their roots, adventured into my originsl dungeon, where most were slain in the first level by a band of kobolds, not known as the Old Guard Kobolds.

Cheers,
Gary
Col_Pladoh
Troll Lord VIP
Troll Lord VIP

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerian wrote:
Btw Gary thanks again for doing a Q&A I'm sure I speak for many when I say we really appreciate it.

Pleased to oblige Very Happy

I hope that the volume of inquiries will drop off a bit soon though Shocked

Cheerio,
Gary
Col_Pladoh
Troll Lord VIP
Troll Lord VIP

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dristram wrote:
Quote:
Others I can add are Christian, patriot, friend, fellow gamer,….

Quote:
Being in the company of fellows with whom I share a lot in common bolsters my spirits considerably. So too does prayer and the like.
Those who claim D&D to be satan’s game should read this! Rolling Eyes

Gary, your talk of being able to remain positive and look at the brighter side of life is inspiring. Smile You know, in a way, you're like the RPG version of Santa Claus. Father Gamermas. Wink

On to a question. One I bet you've been asked a lot before. What caused you to come up with the backsliding AC from 10 to -10? Oh, also was there any method to coming up with the saving throw numbers for each class in AD&D?

I decided only recently to make it known that I am a Christian, albeit one that is of the Arian (Unitarian) persuasion.

I rather stepped in it when I reversed the AC system in the Chainmail man-to-man rules for the OD&D game. Had I not, then better armor classes would have simply progresses in higher numbers. The minus number ACs was the only recourse for rating armor values of magical sort.

STs are subjective, as the perils they prevent are fanciful. When I established the initial Saving Throws I simply determined a logical minimum for low-level characters/monsters and worked my way upwards.

Cheers,
Gary
Col_Pladoh
Troll Lord VIP
Troll Lord VIP

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssfsx17 wrote:
Speaking of "flaccid" adventures, I do like a nice long and hard campaign.

Quite so IMO. Successfully concluding one of those is likely the most gratifying time for the players.

Cheerio,
Gary
Julian Grimm
Dream Eater
Dream Eater

:

Items

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I decided only recently to make it known that I am a Christian, albeit one that is of the Arian (Unitarian) persuasion.

Just what is a Unitarian? I've always been curious about that. I myself was raised Baptist and Assembly of God but have moved more toward Baptist/Post-Evangelical.

My blog
GreyLord
Orc
Orc

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for making the time to answer the questions.

First one I'd have would be, seeing the things that you were starting to do with AD&D, how does that flow into what C&C is now.

Second one I don't know how it can be answered as it would be lengthy. What caused the evolution of AD&D, or D&D overall from the original rules you put out. AKA What got rules such as some found in GreyHawk more into the core rules instead of supplemental rules?

Finally, I've heard that you never graduated from College, and yet you have shown that it is more how one uses their mind rather than a piece of paper that determines what type of impact they make in life. I find that very inspirational and worthwhile.

PS: Ach, one more I suppose...if you really feel like it. As one who wargames somewhat (though they are different then some you probably played) with Warhammer, Axis and Allies, Risk, Flames of War, Historical Wargames in Civil War type settings, this is of interest. Do you wargame and if so, what are the ones you currently favor?
jman5000
Dwarf Crusher
Dwarf Crusher

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for yet another reply Gary...

What do you want to be when you grow up Smile

Cheers,

J.
Dristram
Dwarf Crusher
Dwarf Crusher

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks very much for doing this Gary!

Another question. Did Ed Greenwood consult with you at all when creating the FR setting, particularly because he was making the Drow a prominent race in a non-Greyhawk setting?

I know you don't like to live in the past, but I remember being a little put off about FR replacing WoG as the AD&D core setting. And then adding insult to injury, playing with some new-ish gamers in the mid-90's who claimed that Greyhawk copied the drow from FR.

Thanks!
StealthSuitStanley
Bugbear
Bugbear

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Col_Pladoh"]
Dristram wrote:
Quote:
Others I can add are Christian, patriot, friend, fellow gamer,….

Quote:
Being in the company of fellows with whom I share a lot in common bolsters my spirits considerably. So too does prayer and the like.

I am also a Christian. I want to that you for making C&C. I had been away from role playing for a very long time until I found C&C. Simply because of the different name, I can get back into fantasy role playing. I know about all of the other systems, but none of them worked quite as well as D&D.

I am interested in your testimony, of how you came to know Jesus as your Savior. Was it before or after you invented D&D?

What effect has your Christianity had on your gaming?

Did/Do any of the Christian authors have any influence on your gaming style or world development?

What recommendations would you have for other Christian gamers? Both in making the game enjoyable and making the game acceptable to the general Christian worldview.

Thanks so much!
"Size matters not."
-Yoda, Jedi Master
Col_Pladoh
Troll Lord VIP
Troll Lord VIP

:

Items

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julian Grimm wrote:
Quote:

Just what is a Unitarian? I've always been curious about that. I myself was raised Baptist and Assembly of God but have moved more toward Baptist/Post-Evangelical.

Howdy!

This is not the place to discuss religion, LEt us take it to personal email or move to this website:

http://www.fansforchrist.org/new/index.php

Basically, a Unitarian does not accept the Trinity, believing as did Arian that Jesus Christ was not Jehovah God, but the Word, firstborn of God's creation.

That's all for here Wink

Cheerio,
Gary
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Troll Lord Games Forum Index -> Keeper Advice All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 5 of 14

Jump to: