Forum Index

NEWS:
Mini LL Screen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index » Labyrinth Lord
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulette

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Mini LL Screen Reply with quote

I'm stoked with my little screen, thought someone else might get a kick (pencil and dice in the pic for scale).

bighara

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very cool, but why so small?
The Venomous Pao

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! It brings to mind (in a very good way) the old Dinky Dungeons game.

I may have missed some earlier discussion, but would you care to share anything on the creation of this digest-sized* masterpiece?

* Actual screen may not be precisely digest-sized in the strictest definition of the term Smile

MachFront

:

Items

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.
And yes, please share your 'building' process.

PeelSeel2

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of getting a PDF of this?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Greyharp

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done bulette, it's very nice.

bulette

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Creation Process Reply with quote

This wasn't a very difficult process, but since you asked...

Ingredients:

(3) 4"x6" Index Cards, unlined
1 "Elmer's" Master Illustration Board 20"x30" paperboard # 721-169
1 Paper Trimmer
1 One pocket knife
1 Can of 3M sprayable "artist's adhesive" a.k.a. glue
ll001.pdf
llref.pdf by Random!

I actually bought the paperboard to make a large sized game screen from, but after measuring/cutting/folding the 8.5"x11", I had plenty of paperboard left over to make a mini screen.

The trick to making a screen seems to be in giving yourself some extra room. I knew I was going to decorate it by printing images from the LL pdf onto the 4"x6" index cards I had, only reason I chose that size was because they go along with the same sized character cards I've been using (not the 3"x5" 's I posted about here in the forums recently).

So I measured a piece of paperboard that was 12" wide, but then added about 3/16" of an inch since I knew I was going to be making folds, and the folds themselves would take about 1/16" or so from the larger cut. If I did it again, I'd add about 5/16" to the total, so 12 & 5/16" total wide, height I left at about 6" but since you want the index cards to line up not flush with the bottom, I'd really do 6 & 1/8" if I was going to do it again. As it turned out, because my measurements were not quite large enough, I ended up having to trim the edges off of my index cards printed with the art and tables to get them to fit right, if you get the measurements right you shouldn't have to do this (hence the paper cutter was needed).

I devided this 12" or so length (or width) into thirds, and then drew 2 straight lines to mark of the sections. Using a knife, I cut down into those lines so that it broke the surface of the paperboard but didn't go all the way through. This was to make the bend and fold of the paperboard go smoothly because of its thickness.

Then I took some screenshots of the art I wanted to use using the ll001.pdf, cropped them, didn't scale them (so it would fill up the index card) and then printed it out to the 3 index cards. I printed out some others I didn't use which will make some nice post cards.

Went outside, making sure to close the dog door so the mischievous beagle puppy couldn't interfere, and sprayed the adhesive over the back of the cards about a foot above them sweeping back and forth so as not to overly saturate them, then came back in and lined them up with each of the 3 sections for the outside of the screen, applying and rubbing from the inside out to make sure there were no bubbles or creases. Repeated same process for inside of screen using the 3 pages of tables I wanted from the llref.pdf file.

Used a couple of sizes of black sharpies to cover the fold cuts I'd make earlier with the knife as best I could.

There's the extremely verbose "how I did it", by request!

Why so small? Because I could, having the extra paperboard on hand. Also, because some of my gaming is done via voice over IP and I don't want or need a large screen handy as space is limited on my computer desk (another reason why I like the index cards for character sheets). I'll finish the larger screen some other time. Another reason for making this small is that I want it to fit into the "perfect purple box" project I'm working on... See my other upcoming post for details.

Wink

Last edited by bulette on Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
bulette

:

Items

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: pdf Reply with quote

PeelSeel2 wrote:
Any chance of getting a PDF of this?

I didn't make it from a PDF, I made it from 2 different PDFs and 3 .PNG files (where were just screenshots of the downloadable ll001.pdf).

I may do a custom PDF of tables for my larger ("normal") sized screen which I'd be happy to share, but the already existing llrev.pdf is really just fine.
bat

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is pretty slick, I like the size because it lets you overlook the area.

Koren n'Rhys

:

Items

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulette,
This screen, as well as your 3x5 character sheets (LL and S&W both), are great!

I'm building a "travel" S&W White Box kit to take on vacations, etc for filling free time or rain days with the kids, and already grabbed your 3x5s. Now I see I need to make a digest-sized screen that will fit in the case as well.

Thanks for sharing!

bulette

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: digest sized Reply with quote

cool, glad you can make use of the cards - i went down to the art store today and was shocked that they're no longer stocking aerosol paints (graffiti problem downtown they said), but my purple box project is coming along. check out the digest sized version of LL i made here if you haven't yet. 7x9 is very nice and readable, yet portable. (edit: btw, the 3x5's blown up 30% work very nicely on 4x6's too, with a little more room to spare).
Koren n'Rhys

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did indeed see that. Very nice. There's a picture of my digest kit (so far) on my blog, with a kickback to yours as well.

Got to spread the old-school love!

Darn it - haven't hit the 5 post threshold to post a proper link.

Umm. OK. How 'bout we say it's on my blog at kingdomsintrevail(dot)blogspot(dot)com.

ATOM

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty neat work! Definately inspiring stuff! Very Happy
Random

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that my pdf effort (llref.pdf) proved helpful. I have some others in the works whenever I find the time.

bulette

:

Items

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random wrote:
Glad that my pdf effort (llref.pdf) proved helpful. I have some others in the works whenever I find the time.
Ack, I updated my ingredients list! Cheers Random, I couldn't have made it without you (obviously).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index » Labyrinth Lord All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: