Cookie Fu
Kick Some Cookie!
NEWS:
Reply to topic
Dispelling the Mystery
Jace Thomas

:

Items
Just having discovered (and becoming an infinitely rabid Fu Fan of Very Happy) Cookie Fu at GenCon Indy a few days ago, I was perfectly content thinking that Vanilla Hare, Chocolate Ox, Coconut Monkey, and the Booster Box was all there was to Cookie Fu. However, briefly glancing around the forum immerses me in speak of many other types of dice, leaving me clueless. Warrior without path is like boat without water; functional yet ever-yearning for the missing element that allows progress.

Would somebody please honor the humility in the admittance of my ignorance, and indulge me in a brief summary/history of Cookie Fu; that I may bring myself up to speed? I find myself infinitely fascinated by the game; I simply can't get enough! I just wanted to add, Domo arigatou, thank you very much Blue Kabuto (and Grandmaster) for the wonderfully imaginative and infinitely addicting POW!-fest that is cookie fu Very Happy
Re: Dispelling the Mystery
bluekabuto
Site Admin

:

Items
Jace Thomas wrote:
Would somebody please honor the humility in the admittance of my ignorance, and indulge me in a brief summary/history of Cookie Fu; that I may bring myself up to speed?

Certainly Grasshopper - Allow me to expand upon your knowledge of Fu.

Cookie Fu was originally released in late 2003/early 2004. It was carried exclusively in WOTC's Gamekeeper retail shops. It was a smaller game in scope: 17 dice only, 15 base moves, and only 20 cookie fortunes.

It sold well, but met it's demise when WOTC closed all their retail shops. The existing production model at that time was too costly to produce, and unfortunately the mysteries of Cookie Fu were lost to the ages....

The first booster, Death By Dim Sum was prepared to launch at that time, but never saw the light of day due to the situation above.

Since that time, there has been a quiet movement to bring Cookie Fu back to life again. I've continued to work on expansions while I had time and released some minor stuff for it as well: Clan Cookies, Dynasty Edition PDF, etc.

Thankfully after many long years, (many many long years) - I was able to invest in the game again and re-release it with loads of new stuff in it.

With the release of Grandmaster's Return, think of it as Cookie Fu 2.0 - Bigger, better, with more crunch than ever before. It's the same game everyone loved, but now BETTER TASTING!

Grandmaster's Return now has a larger scope: 55 dice, 24 base moves, and 30 clan specific cookie fortunes! The possibilities for Fu Fighter creation is quite limitless now! ^_^

You will see older material on this form (anything pre-2010) - most of it is still relevant. But if you are confused feel free to ask.

In the future, we all will be discussing Death by Dim Sum, Sweet & Sour Sorcery as well as the others in the oven: Mushu Gun Fu, Wonton Warriors, Double Demon Delight, and the Serpents of Schezuan.

Welcome to Cookie Fu Grasshopper!

The Cookie Fu Grandmaster
"クキ フー は とても すごい です"

www.bluekabuto.com
www.cookiefu.com
Jace Thomas

:

Items
I must say, the legacy behind Cookie Fu is quite astounding! Truly, only the worthiest of cookies could survive being contained for so long and still taste so delicious!

With so many expansions in the oven, when does the grandmaster have time to practice his Fu? Smile I already feel as if the game has the completeness of a fresh cookie, but I must confess that the idea of so many delicious-sounding expansions makes my mouth water!

Am I allowed to ask what is planned for the upcoming releases? Will there be amazing new mechanics, or simply fresh new flavors of dice to crack into?

I would love to stay and ask more questions, but I am afraid I must retire for the night to meditate upon my Fu. Vengeance calls, you understand. AIYAH!
bluekabuto
Site Admin

:

Items
Jace Thomas wrote:
Am I allowed to ask what is planned for the upcoming releases? Will there be amazing new mechanics, or simply fresh new flavors of dice to crack into

Certainly Grasshopper - a world without questions would be a pretty bland cookie indeed!

The Death by Dim Sum (DBDS) expansion will feature 2 new mechanics: Disarming Strike and Knockback.

DBDS will feature a host of new weapons: Swords, fans, flails, staves, knives, etc. 3 new clans will be featured as well: Dragon, Tiger, and Rooster - along with the corresponding cookies. (flavors TBD). So in addition to the DSDS Weapon Chi moves (24 of them), there will also be 30 Clan moves for the featured cookies.

The set can be played stand alone (no Fu dice or moves) or in conjunction with the regular Fu dice. Each Fu Fighter has a "Dim Sum Limit" which helps balance the number of weapon dice he/she may use during the game.

"クキ フー は とても すごい です"

www.bluekabuto.com
www.cookiefu.com
Jace Thomas

:

Items
Ahh.. so when you refer to "Fu" you are referring to the basic Cookie Fu set? Is Death By Dim Sum (and all other planned expansions) its own game? I was assuming it was a simple expansion, but it seems to be so much more. I'm excited to hear that there will be new clans to round out the zodiac, but this raises another question.. since DBDS features weapons, will the Dragon, Tiger, and Rooster clans be reliant on weapons, or is their Fu as strong as the Ox, Hare, and Monkey? Will DBDS's defining element be weapons, or will that just be a new feature further expanded upon in other expansions to come?

As far as Disarming Strike and Knockback, am I allowed to inquire further, or are those kept as sweet a secret as a fortune sealed within the cookie, saved until after supper? I apologize, grandmaster, as my questions overflow as the check tray overflows with fortune cookies after a large group at a restaurant Smile

I find myself eager to learn as much as possible about the Fu (about the Sum?) as I strive towards Mastership (or even Grandmastership one day.. Smile) and eagerly await any tidbits you let fall from betwixt your Grand Chopsticks!
bluekabuto
Site Admin

:

Items
Fu Fighter Jace -

Your knowledge of the Way of the Cookie is growing! Know that, while some secrets of the Art of Dim Sum are easily revealed, others require meditation and will take proper time and study to discover...

DBDS "can" be played on it's own if desired. More akin to an actual duel, however, the fun lies in employing Dim Sum WITH the base Fu dice.

DBDS will feature only Dim Sum moves in the rules menu. The Clan Cookies will still contain the secret Fu moves of the new clans. Fu Fighters from the new clans may also take Fu moves from the base set as well as letting the Ox, Hare, and Monkey take Dim Sum moves from the DBDS to help round out their fighting styles.

Disarming Strike is a new COMBO that will allow fighters to disarm their opponent's weapons (possibly to use them against their foes). Whereas Knockback will be an abstract representation of the large damage amounts done to an unlucky Fu Fighter.

While I am glad to share some wisdom to all students, other knowledge will not be served (as they say) before it's time. Nothing falls from the Grandmaster's chopsticks unless he desires it to...

I urge you to sign up for the DBDS playtest (I have few spots left) if you'd like more info with what's to come. I could use a few good Fu Fighters like you!

"クキ フー は とても すごい です"

www.bluekabuto.com
www.cookiefu.com
Jace Thomas

:

Items
Ah, it sounds like DBDS will bring many exciting concepts to the table and bring much balance to the Fu Very Happy I am especially excited to hear about Disarming Strike and the new combo opportunities it brings; one of my favorite parts of glorious combat is the grand triumph felt when I happen to pull off a successful grab/throw combo Smile I can only imagine the possibilities!

I would be most honored to sign up for the DBDS playtest, Grandmaster. You have only to tell me what you need of me, and I shall do my part for the Fu. Very Happy
nyarlathotep333

:

Items
OK, I have to ask since the online store still has a 'coming soon' message...where can one currently buy the dice at? I've got some of the older dice but would love the chance to purchase some of the new, especially since it seems there are more of them.

Cookie-fu is a fun game, keep up the great work!
Yume Taira

:

Items
nyarlathotep333 wrote:
OK, I have to ask since the online store still has a 'coming soon' message...where can one currently buy the dice at? I've got some of the older dice but would love the chance to purchase some of the new, especially since it seems there are more of them.

Cookie-fu is a fun game, keep up the great work!

To my knowledge, the only way currently is to contact the grandmaster directly.
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
The dice have finally arrived!
bluekabuto
Site Admin

:

Items
Greetings Fu Fighters -

I am happy to announce that the complete shipment of dice have finally arrived!

I will have PLENTY (and I do mean PLENTY!) of clan packs / boosters for sale shortly.

The "coming soon" message is due to Authorize.net giving me the run around with my online account. That has since been resolved.

Fret not Fu Fighters - soon you will be able to order loads of Cookie Fu either online or at your local retail shop. All the major distributors will be carrying it. ^_^

"クキ フー は とても すごい です"

www.bluekabuto.com
www.cookiefu.com
Dispelling the Mystery